Game Design & Interactive Media
The Game Design and Interactive Media (GDIM) curriculum provides a grounding in the design, story-telling, illustration and 3D animation as paired with creative coding and in-depth game development coursework. Students learn to conceptualize, iterate and produce games that fit their artistic visions as well as their career goals. GDIM is preparation for the professional fields of Mobile App design, Game development, and Interactive Art and Media.
- Game Design
- 3D-Modeling, Mobile Game/Application Development
- Full Stack Web Development
- Web Design
- Virtual Reality and Augment Reality Development
SVMA facilities are extensive, spanning five buildings across the UM campus. Our facilities includes over a dozen large studio classrooms, computer labs, film production studios, an e-sport gaming center, multi-media studios, “smart” lecture/seminar classrooms, five student galleries, soundstage, resource library, and many material-specific workshops. These facilities house professional and cutting-edge equipment, such as oversized ceramic kilns, digital fabrication routers and printers, industry-standard software, and state-of-the-art tools. Please view specific programs to learn more.
In addition, SVMA works closely with Montana Museum of Art and Culture, UM’s Innovation Factory, and School of Journalism which expands student opportunities.
UM has a gaming team!
Game Design and Interactive Media Courses
- ARTZ 214 Illustration
- MART 220 Creative Coding II
- MART 252 Screenwriting
- MART 302 Introduction to Motion Design
- MART 305 3D Animation
- MART 341 Introduction to Web Design
- MART 342 Art & Sci Interactive Games
- ART 360 History, Theory and Ethics of Games
- MART 361 Serious Games
- MART 340 Princ of Interactive Media
- MART 441 Web Tech (Web Gaming)
- MART 460 Game Engines
- MART 461 Web Server Tech
- MART 462 Mobile Game Development
- MART 499 Senor Project
Majors also take…
- Foundations courses.
- Media Arts Core Courses
- MAR 210 Creation of Media Story
- MART 330 Principles of Sound Design
- MART 450 Topics in Film and Media Studies
- MART 499 Professional Studio
- Writing, and Theory courses.
- University General Education courses.
Majors earn a B.F.A in Media Arts–Game Design and Interactive Media Concentration. Throughout your studies, we encourage you to take classes across all areas in SVMA.Download Advising Form
Our Programs in Action
Find u on Instagram @UMT_SVMA
or on Facebook @ UMTsvma