CURRENT STUDENTS: Deadlines & Important notices
2023 Art BFA Application
Due by March 31, 2023
The BFA in Art is a focused professional degree. It is considered an advanced undergraduate degree with 18 more art credits than the BA. The BFA is the only degree in Art that allows a student to select an area of concentration. BFA students are assigned a studio space for their senior year and exhibit in our professional gallery as part of the Senior Thesis course which is unique to the BFA experience. The BFA degree may make a student a more competitive candidate when applying to a graduate program.
The BA in Art is more flexible in its requirements. It allows students to take 18 upper-division credits outside of Art. If a student wishes to experiment and broaden their undergraduate education, the BA in Art gives them the freedom to enroll in a variety of courses across campus. Art students enter the School of Visual and Media Arts in the BA program.
Students wishing to pursue the BFA in Art must first apply for the BFA Review. BFA Review applications may be submitted in the spring of the sophomore or junior year. The requirements to apply for the BFA Review are as follows:
1. A 400 word artist statement.
2.The following courses must have been completed or in-progress at the time of the review:
- ARTZ 105 Visual Language Drawing
- ARTZ 108 3D Design or MART 120 Creative Coding
- MART 101 Introduction to Media Arts
- MART 112 Introduction to Film Editing
- ARTH 150 Introduction to Art History
- GDSN 149 Digital Imaging
- ARTH 201 Art of World Civilization
- ARTH 250 Introduction to Art Criticism
- Three 200 level Studio Courses
- One 300 level Studio Course
3. An unofficial copy of your college transcript. (Available on Cyberbear)
4. 6-8 images of artwork made during your college career.
5. The name of your SVMA faculty mentor; a studio art faculty member with whom you have worked with and is familiar with your artwork.
6. A Curricular GPA of 3.0 and an Overall GPA of 2.5.
Our Programs in Action
Find u on Instagram @UMT_SVMA
or on Facebook @ UMTsvma