Digital Arts & Technology
Advances in digital technologies have introduced powerful new tools and approaches to our daily lives. Our program focuses on the artistic and creative application of these digital technologies. This is a fast-growing area, which presents exciting new possibilities, and re-imagines many existing ways of working. Students explore using industry-standard tools and applications, and gain essential training for a wide range of careers.
Careers Students Pursue After Finishing in Digital Arts & Technology
- Web Designer
- Multimedia/interactive designer
SVMA facilities are extensive, spanning five buildings across the UM campus. Our facilities includes over a dozen large studio classrooms, computer labs, film production studios, an e-sport gaming center, multi-media studios, “smart” lecture/seminar classrooms, five student galleries, soundstage, resource library, and many material-specific workshops. These facilities house professional and cutting-edge equipment, such as oversized ceramic kilns, digital fabrication routers and printers, industry-standard software, and state-of-the-art tools. Please view specific programs to learn more.
In addition, SVMA works closely with Montana Museum of Art and Culture, UM’s Innovation Factory, and School of Journalism which expands student opportunities.
Digital Art and Technology Courses
- MART 201 History of Digital Arts and Culture
- MART 220 Creative Coding II
- MART 251 Digital Video Production Technology
- MART 255 Photoshop: Art and Design
- MART 256 Illustrator: Vector and Layout
- MART 302 Introduction to Motion Design
- MART 305 Introduction to 3D Animation
- MART 325 Introduction to Animation
- MART 340 Principle of Interactive Media
- MART 341 Introduction to Web Design
- MART 416 Production Studio I
- MART 440 Tech Interactive Media Design
- MART 441 Web Technologies
- MART 445 Sound for Digital Media
- MART 457 Production Studio II
Majors also take…
- Foundations courses.
- Media Arts Core Courses
- MAR 210 Creation of Media Story
- MART 330 Principles of Sound Design
- MART 450 Topics in Film and Media Studies
- MART 499 Professional Studio
- Writing, and Theory courses.
- University General Education courses.
Majors earn a B.F.A in Media Arts (DAT Track). Throughout your studies, we encourage you to take classes across all areas in SVMA.
Our Programs in Action
Find u on Instagram @UMT_SVMA
or on Facebook @ UMTsvma